Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Peach and Chili Cherry Cups

This past weekend Steven and I stopped by our favorite little Asian Market to pick up some fresh, and reasonably priced shrimp and veggies. Steven had envisioned a noodle dish for dinner on Saturday, and I had picked up some Spring Roll wrappers with no idea what my contribution was going to be.  I still had no clue an hour later when we finally got home from the market when I tossed the wrappers in the fridge.

A few hours later and after a much needed nap, I was ravenous.  I knew Steven would be starting on his creation soon, and time was ticking away.  I already knew I had a package of Spring Roll wrappers unthawing and with that in mind I opened up the fridge. I dug through leftovers and new produce and came across one lonely peach and a handful of cherries and a package of Thai chili peppers we had bought earlier in the day.  I had it; I would make some sort of peach and chili cherry creation.

I threw some cherries in a pot, added a minced Thai chili pepper, some sugar and a little bit of water and got  it to boiling.  All the while tasting here and there and adding a little more chili and sugar along the way.  While the syrup was cooking I fashioned cups out of Spring Roll wrappers and grilled the peaches.  I pulled the cups out of the oven after about 10 or 15 minutes, and the peaches off the grill once they looked really juicy.  I cut up the peaches, put them in a crispy cup and drizzled each cup with the cherry chili syrup.  And, bam!  A dessert I think should be on the menu at every Asian restaurant I frequent.  And the best part is each cup only has 93 calories.  Not too bad for a sweet and spicy dessert if you ask me.

 
Grilled Peaches with Cherry Chili Syrup
Recipe Serves 4


 




Ingredients:
  • 4 Frozen Spring Roll Wrappers (you can normally find a package of 25 in the frozen section at your local Asian market)
  • Approximately 10 fresh cherries, pitted and quartered
  • 1 Thai chili pepper, minced
  • 2-3 TBSP of organic cane sugar
  • 2-3 TBSP of water
  • splash of lemon juice
Directions:
  1. Take frozen Spring Roll wrappers out of the freezer and follow the defrosting directions on the back of the package
  2. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and your grill to a low setting
  3. Add cherries, chili, sugar, lemon juice and water to a small saucepan, bring to a boil, stirring occasionally
  4. Reduce sauce to a simmer, stirring occasionally until the sauce is a syrupy consistency.
  5. Remove the sauce from heat once it has reached desired consistency
  6. Put peaches on grill
  7. Take Spring Roll wrappers and form any shape desired or place in a lightly greased muffin tin to make cups.  If you want you can brush with an egg white and honey mix to give them more color and flavor as they bake
  8. Bake wrappers for 10-15 minutes or until golden
  9. Once the peaches are juicy, remove from grill and cube
  10. Place cubed peaches in cups and drizzle with generous amount of syrup
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful! And not too difficult...I think I could do that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is delicious! And definitely easy! You can do it :)

    ReplyDelete

© Let's Be Wellness!.Maira Gall.